In our blog we will try to provide you with general information regarding car accidents, motorcycle crashes, and personal injury cases, as well as updates in important cases and statutes dealing with family law in New Hampshire. This is not to be construed as legal advice. Every case is unique and small facts can make a difference.
How to Keep Track of Your Medical Expenses In a Personal Injury Lawsuit
When pursuing a New Hampshire personal injury lawsuit, it is imperative to keep accurate records of all your accident related expenses. Your NH personal injury lawyer will need this documentation to obtain a fair settlement on your behalf.
Here are 5 tips for ensuring that you keep track of your claim related medical expenses:
1. Each time you visit a hospital, therapist, physician, or other medical office and must pay, request a copy of the bill. Each of your visits to hospitals, therapists, physicians, and other medical facilities should be recorded. Each time you make a payment, request a copy of your bill.
2. Each time you must have a doctor’s prescription filled, ask for a copy of the bill. If you need to purchase any medications or medical equipment due to your injuries, keep copies of the pharmacy bills and receipts of your payments.
3. For medication purchases and medical bills, record the date and amount paid. It is highly important to keep separate, meticulous records that list any and all pertinent information regarding your medical expenses. Examples of information you will want to record include the amounts you are charged for medication or medical services, the date that you paid these charges off, and the method of payment (e.g. personal expenses, insurance, etc.).
4. Record and request copies of all medical bills that your insurance carrier processes. All medical expenses for yourself must be copied and recorded for your NH personal injury lawyer, even if these expenses were paid for by your employer or your insurance provider.
5. Send your New Hampshire persona injury lawyer a copy of all bills you incur as a direct result of your injuries. Your personal injury lawyer must receive all copies of your medical bills, regardless of whether they are for medication, medical services, or another related expense. As the time to settle your case nears, you should also send your lawyer an itemized summary of your medical expenses. Although your pharmacists and doctors might already be forwarding copies of these bills to your lawyer, sending additional copies will ensure that your lawyer is not missing any of them. In turn, this will ensure that claims does not settle for any less than its actual monetary value.
In addition to keeping track of your medical expenses, there are several other things you can do to assist your NH attorney with your case:
§ Return his or her phone calls in a timely manner.
§ Carefully read all correspondence they send to you.
§ Be on time to each of your medical appointments.
§ Create a list of individuals who can serve as potential witnesses and who could testify about your injuries or the incident itself.
§ Create and maintain audiovisual documentation.
§ Let your personal injury lawyer know about any additional changes to your contact information, like phone numbers or addresses.
§ Alert your NH personal injury lawyer if any personal details, like your marital status or employment status, change.
§ Keep your New Hampshire personal injury lawyer informed regarding any changes in the condition or injury that resulted from your accident.
If you have been injured in the state of New Hampshire and plan on pursuing legal action, contact our law offices today to speak with an experienced NH personal injury attorney.
Serving all of New Hampshire. Offices in Nashua, Manchester, Concord, and Portsmouth.
This site does not constitute legal advice. An attorney client relationship is formed only after an agreement is entered into between an Attorney of Liberty Legal and a client is reached. Past results do not guarantee future results.
Disclaimer: Some cases are referred to other law firms with consent of client.
Liberty Legal Services PLLC. Main office: 250 Commercial St #3020 Manchester NH 03101. (603) 262-3196